We continuously receive inquiries from both Landlords and Tenants regarding termination of tenancies. This article applies to the renewal and termination of residential real property in California cities and municipalities that do NOT have local rent control ordinances (e.g. Santa Monica, Berkeley, San Francisco). However, even in these non-rent control jurisdicition, landlords must be careful with lease terminations.
Where there is a rental of a residential property for a term not specified by the parties, the general rule in California is 60 days notice. However, only 30 days notice is required in the following circumstances:
(A) If any tenant or resident has resided in the dwelling for less than one year, or
(B) If ALL of the following apply:
- The dwelling or unit is alienable separate from the title to any other dwelling unit.
- The owner has contracted to sell the dwelling or unit to a bona fide purchaser for value, and has established an escrow with a licensed escrow agent, as defined in Sections 17004 and 17200 of the Financial Code, or a licensed real estate broker, as defined in Section 10131 of the Business and Professions Code.
- The purchaser is a natural person or persons.
- The notice is given no more than 120 days after the escrow has been established.
- Notice was not previously given to the tenant pursuant to this section.
- The purchaser in good faith intends to reside in the property for at least one full year after the termination of the tenancy. Cal. Civ. Code § 1946.1 (West)
Any notices served under this Section, must meet the notice requirements of Section 1162 of the California Code of Civil Procedure.
Adishian Law Group is a California law firm with a statewide practice in the areas of Corporate law, Employment law, Real Estate law and Mediation Services. Adishianlaw.com is one of the oldest continually operating law firm websites on the Internet. The firm serves its clientele via three offices located in the major business hubs of El Segundo, Palo Alto and San Francisco. As of March 2013, Adishian Law Group, P.C. has represented individual and corporate clients located across 20 California counties, 4 States outside of California and 9 foreign countries — in over 340 legal matters.
For more information about this topic or to speak with Chris Adishian: